It’s an exciting time here in Colorado with our Denver Broncos ready to take it all from the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50! With that, let’s try not to eat it all and void all of our hard earned fat loss and strength gains with careless food choices.
So here you go, 4 quarters, and 4 recipes! Serve these up at your Super Bowl party this weekend!
Egg Salad Sandwich With Bacon and Sriracha
This is a great tasting, quick and easy alternative to plain old egg salad.
- 2 center-cut bacon slices (Natural, uncured, No nitrites/nitrates added will be your best quality option)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (for a healthier flip, mash up some avocados)
- 1 tablespoon full fat greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha (or your favorite hot chile sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 hard-cooked large eggs, chopped (free range pasture raised is best, convenience = purchase hard boiled from the store)
- 2 cups arugula or baby spinach
- 8 whole-grain bread slices (Ezekiel bread, in the freezer section, would be your best bread option)
- Cook bacon in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Place bacon in a large bowl. Stir in onions and next 5 ingredients (through salt). Gently stir in eggs.
- Arrange 1/2 cup arugula on each of 4 bread slices. Top each serving with 1/3 cup egg mixture and 1 bread slice.
The Nitty Gritty Nutritional Information (if you’re counting)
Fat 16.6 g
Satfat 3.9 g
Monofat 6.9 g
Polyfat 4.1 g
Protein 18.4 g
Carbohydrate 24.9 g
Fiber 4.3 g
Cholesterol 286 mg
Iron 3 mg
Sodium 571 mg
Calcium 123 mg
Roasted Mushrooms on White Bean Puree
I used to think that any meal lacking meat, was a waste of a meal. But this dish changed my mind. One of my favorite things to make and eat.
- 2 (8oz packages) of sliced portabella mushrooms (baby bellas)
- 1 cup thin zucchini slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided + 1/8 teaspoon of salt for tomato mixture
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans unsalted Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine mushrooms, zucchini, and 1 tablespoon of oil. Set zucchini aside. Arrange mushrooms, in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 425° for 4 minutes. Turn mushrooms over with a spatula; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 garlic cloves. Carefully layer zucchini slices over mushrooms. Bake at 425° for 6 minutes. Top evenly with cheese. Bake 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, oregano, and tomatoes.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 2 garlic cloves, milk, peppers, and beans in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Place mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a towel over opening in lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Add parsley and thyme; pulse 5 times or until well combined. Divide puree among 4 plates. Arrange mushrooms over puree; top with tomato mixture.
Fat 16.3 g
Satfat 6.1 g
Monofat 7.3 g
Polyfat 1.4 g
Protein 12 g
Carbohydrate 27 g
Fiber 9 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Iron 2 mg
Sodium 434 mg
Calcium 128 mg
Black Bean Hummus
Instead of chickpeas, you can use black beans to make this Middle Eastern dip. And for a bit of extra flavor, stir in jalapeño pepper and lime juice.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, (rinsed and drained)-Important!
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeded
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place 1/4 cup cilantro, tahini, and next 8 ingredients (through jalapeño) in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon into a bowl; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Serve with vegetables, (celery, carrots, peppers…)
Fat 4 g
Satfat 0.5 g
Monofat 2 g
Polyfat 1.1 g
Protein 5.1 g
Carbohydrate 18.5 g
Fiber 2.4 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Iron 1.7 mg
Sodium 138 mg
Calcium 41 mg
Greek Yogurt Guacamole
- 3 medium avocados
- 2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup red onion, diced
- 2/3 cup roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- Scoop out the flesh from your avocado fruit, and mash together with Greek yogurt in a large bowl.
- Add lime juice, lime zest, and minced garlic to the bowl. Mix well.
- Add red onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, and cilantro to the bowl. Mix well, and enjoy!
Committed to Your Results,
and Your Fit Soldiers Family!
2100 East 112th Avenue #2
Northglenn, CO 80233