Northglenn Boot Camp (GO GREEK)
If you've been around me long enough (10 minutes) there is a good chance you know that I'm a big fan of Greek Yogurt. For those of you who are new to the loop here's the scoop.
It is yogurt that has been triple strained and in turn increases the concentration of the protein and on the flip side decreases the amount of sugar. This makes for a great recover or a balanced snack if paired with some fruit or other goodies.
***Don't Be Fooled***
I wrote over the past year about "good foods gone bad" and yogurt was one of them. Greek yogurt is in the same shoes. Manufactures are banking on the fact that the greek fad is booming so what do they do?
The same with yogurt. Pump in obscene amounts of sugar to make it meet the standard of our desensitized taste buds making it more like a desert. Now your greek goes from about 18g protein / 6gsugar, to 18g protein up to 20+g sugar... Don't Be Fooled.
Nobody Likes Sour Milk
And plain yogurt is just nasty... I agree it can be a little tough to get down with out all that sugar. So here are some of my favorite add in's t PLAIN Greek Yogurt, as well as a bunch of unique ideas that were passed on from one of our awesome boot campers.
- Berries, mix em' mash em' Berries are among the lowest in sugar in the fruit family but pack some awesome flavor.
- Honey: but not too much.
- Greek Tsaziki: cucumbers, dill, pinch of salt!
- Smoothie: makes for a little thicker texture.
- Sour Cream: add a pinch of salt and substitute.
- Granola: keep an eye on the sugar in the granola here.
- Chicken,Tuna,Egg Salad: use instead of mayo.
- Cupcakes: mix with vanilla or almond, a lil sweetener and use as frosting.
- Creamy Salad dressing: add spices and a little milk.
- Horseradish: mix the 2 and use as a fish or shrimp dip.
- Pancakes: mix with skim milk and use instead of buttermilk.
- Waffles: mix with your favorite fruit and top.
The list could go on. Be creative. If you have a favorite we would love to hear it, just comment it below!
2100 East 112th Avenue #2
Northglenn, CO 80233